COMPANY ORGANIZED in 1827
1827-1844 Spring St. (south side), between Center & South Streets
1844-1860 Congress St. (south side), between India & Washington
1860-1861 Casco Street (east side), at the foot of Prospect St.
1861-1866 Congress Street (south side), opposite 3rd Parish Church. (L-1 & E-5’s firehouse destroyed in fire July 4, 1866)
1867-1874 133 Market Street (new E-5 Congress Street firehouse)
1874-1895 99 India Street (east side), near Congress Street.
1895-1912 376 Congress Street (1867 firehouse, addition in 1889)
1912-1915 99 India Street
1915-1924 376 Congress Street (firehouse called Central in 1889)
1924-1979 380 Congress Street (the new Central Fire Station)
1979- 134 Congress Street (Munjoy Hill, with E-1 and E-5)
1827-1831 Hook and Axe Company
1831-1837 “Washington” Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1
1837- 1844 Fire Company #1
1844-1887 “Washington” Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1
1887-1889 Hayes Truck No. 1
1889- Ladder Co. 1
In 1827, a company was formed called, “Hook & Axe Company”. The hand-drawn carriage carried 4-ladders (100 ft.), 4-fire hook, 9-axes, and sails to cover the roofs or furniture. The company was then located on the southerly side of Spring Street, between Center and South Streets with “Vigilant E-6”.
On October 29, 1831, the company reorganized as “Washington” Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1 when the
Portland Fire Department was established with law passed by the State Legislature. Another ladder carriage was purchased in 1835, and the 1827-carriage was kept as a spare with no company attached.
Because the “Washington” was the only ladder company in the City, they answered most of the City's fire calls, responding in the early days to the church bells, which were used to signal a fire. As the city grew, the Ladder Company's role expanded, as many buildings were being built taller. Because of this, longer ladders were added to the truck, and the members of Ladder Co. 1 spent many hours of training.
In 1846, Ladder 1 relocated to a brick engine house on Congress St., at head of Smith St., near India St.
On October 22, 1850, the Company was again reorganized.
In 1860, Ladder 1 relocated to the old brick engine house (E-7) on Casco Street, opposite Prospect St. In 1861, the Casco Street engine house was razed to build a schoolhouse, and Ladder 1 was relocated to an old schoolhouse on Congress Street, opposite the 3rd Parish Church, between Lime and Pearl Streets.
In 1863, Ladder 1 shared quarters with “Falmouth Steam Engine Co. No. 2”. In 1864, Falmouth # 2 was relocated, and the new “Casco Steam Engine Co. No. 5” was assigned here with Ladder 1.
On July 4, 1866, a great fire destroyed 1/3 of the City and destroyed Ladder 1, Engine 5’s firehouse.
In 1867, a new Remington & Moulton 2-horse hitch ladder carriage went into service as Ladder 1, and the company moved into the new “Casco-5” engine house on the corner of Congress and Market Streets. (This was the same location as the 1861-Ladder 1/Engine 5 firehouse that was destroyed July 4, 1866)
In 1874, Ladder 1 received a new Hunneman ladder carriage and relocated to the 1869 brick engine house at 99 India Street, formerly occupied by Steam Engine Co. 4. (Old L-1 reassigned to Ladder Co.2)
In 1884, a Permanent Driver was appointed and two horses purchased, replacing the Street Dept. horses.
In 1887, Ladder 1 received a new Hayes 85 ft. 2-section wooden aerial ladder tiller carriage, built by LaFrance Fire Engine Company of Elmira, New York, the first aerial ladder tiller truck in the PFD.
In 1889, Ladder 1’s aerial truck was reassigned to Ladder 2 after the “Casco-5” firehouse, now called “Central Station”, was enlarged. Ladder 2 (rebuilt in 1885) was reassigned to Ladder 1 on India Street.
On May 6, 1895, Ladder Co. 1 was relocated back to the renovated Central Station, taking up quarters in the left front Congress Street bay. Ladder Co. 2 (Hayes truck) relocated to the 99 India Street station.
In 1911, new Chief, Patrick Flaherty, relocated Ladder Co. 1 (now with 2-Permanent Men) back to the India St. firehouse, and the Hayes aerial truck (renumbered L-5 in 1899) went back to Central Station.
In 1914, Ladder 1’s Permanent Lieutenant promoted to Permanent Captain (now 3-Permanent Men).
In 1915, the new Chief, Almus Butler again swapped Ladder 1 and 2’s quarters. Ladder 1 returned to
Central where it had originally been in 1867, and Ladder 5 (Hayes truck) returned to 99 India Street.
On February 11, 1924, Ladder 1 was motorized with an American LaFrance city service ladder truck.
On November 10, 1924, Ladder Co. 1, along with E-1 and 5, Chemical 1, Ladder 5, and the new Chief, Oliver T. Sanborn relocated to the new, 6-bay Central Fire Station, behind the old 1867 Central.
A Permanent Lieutenant was appointed that year, making Ladder Co. 1 all-Permanent Men (7 by 1929). In 1945, Ladder 1 received a new Seagrave 65 ft. steel 3-section aerial ladder truck with booster pump.
In 1957, another new Seagrave ladder truck (75 ft.) went into service as Ladder 1 (1945 truck to L-3).
In 1970, Ladder Co. 1 was assigned an American LaFrance articulating 80 ft. snorkel bucket truck.
On February 23, 1979, Central Fire Station was closed because of budget problems, and Ladder 1 and Engine 5 were relocated to Munjoy Hill’s 3-bay Station, with Engine 1. In 1987, Central Station reopened, and Engine 5, and Rescue 1 moved back. Because of pressure from Munjoy Hill citizens to keep the ladder truck on the hill, Ladder Co. 1 remained at the Munjoy Hill station with Engine Co.1.
In 1980, Ladder 1 was reassigned L-4’s 1977 100 ft. ladder truck, and then L-6’s 1978 truck in 1989.
On July 9, 1993, a Pierce Arrow with a 4-door cab 85 ft. snorkel truck went into service as Ladder 1.
1827-1835 - locally built hand drawn ladder carriage, carrying 4-ladders (120 ft.), 4-hooks, 9-Axes, and 10 leather fire buckets. Located on south side of Spring Street, between Center and South Streets with “Vigilant” Engine 6
In service -1827 (Company reorganized October 29, 1831)
Out of service 1835 (used as spare Ladder Carriage No. 2)
1835-1867 - locally built hand-drawn carriage, carrying 4-ladders (100 ft.), 4-hooks, and 9-axes, located At engine/ladder house on Spring Street, between Center and South Streets
In service - 1835 (1858-rebuilt)
Out of service - 1867 (1867-in reserve, 1887-disposed of.)
1867-1874 - Remington and Moulton horse-drawn carriage, carrying 181 ft. of Ladders, assorted fire Hooks, axes, and fire buckets, located at the new engine house on Congress Street, at the Corner of Market Street (Ladder 1’s bay at #133 Market Street) $ 750.00
In-service - 1867 (1869-improved with more ladders)
Out of service 1874 (1874-reassigned to the new Ladder Co. 2)
1874-1887 - Hunneman & Company horse-drawn ladder carriage, carrying 223 ft. of ladders, and assorted ladder company equipment.
In service - 8/05/1874
Out of service 1887 (In reserve status, later transferred to L-4)
1887-1889 - LaFrance Fire Engine Co. horse-drawn ladder carriage tiller truck, carrying a Hayes 85 ft. 2-section wooden aerial Ladder, and 245 ft. of Ladders $ 3,200.00
In service - 1887
Out of service 3/16/1889 (transferred to Ladder Co. 2)
1889-1919 - 1885 Talbot & Moulton horse-drawn ladder carriage, carrying 223 ft. of ladders (was L-1’s old 1867 Remmington & Moulton ladder carriage, 1885- totally rebuilt for L-2)
In service - 3/16/1889
Out of service 10/11/1919 (In reserve as a spare ladder)
1919-1924 - 1883 Talbot & Moulton horse-drawn carriage (formerly assigned to L-3), carrying 300 ft. of Ladders, two 35-gallon chemical tanks, and 500 ft. of chemical hose.
In service - 10/11/1919
Out of service 2/11/1924 (reconditioned and assigned to L-6)
1924-1945 - American LaFrance type 70 city service combination ladder & chemical motor truck, Carrying 325 ft. of Ladders, two 35-gallon chemical tanks, and 250 ft. of chemical hose
In service - 2/11/1924 $
Out of service 1945 (in reserve as a spare ladder)
1945-1957 - Seagrave mid-ship mounted 65 ft. 3-section steel aerial ladder truck, carrying 275 ft. of Ladders, a 100-gallon booster tank, and 150 ft. of booster hose
In service - 5/26/1945
Out of service 11/20/1957 (reassigned to Ladder 3, and destroyed in accident in 1960)
1957-1970 - Seagrave mid-ship mounted 75 ft. 3-section aerial ladder truck, carrying 275 ft. of Ladders, 100-gallon booster tank, and 150 ft. of booster hose
In service - 11/20/1957
Out of service 12/07/1970 (reassigned to Ladder 4)
1970-1980 - American LaFrance Aero-Chief articulating 80 ft. aerial platform Snorkel truck, carrying 208 ft. of ladders, and a pre-piped waterway $ 65,000.00
In service - 12/07/1970 (rebuilt in 1978)
Out of service 2/11/1980 (reassigned to Ladder 4)
1980-1989 - 1977 American LaFrance Water Chief rear mounted 100 ft. 4-section aerial ladder truck With a pre-piped waterway, carrying 227 ft. of Ladders (formerly assigned to L-4).
In service - 2/11/1980 (1986, rebuilt with a cab over roof)
Out of service 10/08/1989 (In reserve as Ladder 5)
1989-1993 - 1978 Ward LaFrance/Maxim rear mounted 100 ft. 4-section aerial ladder truck with cab-Over roof and tandem rear axles, carrying 256 ft. of ladders, a 200-gallon booster tank, and Two cross-laid 1½-inch hose lines of 150 ft. each (formerly assigned to L-6)
In service - 10/08/1989
Out of service 7/09/1993 (In reserve as Ladder 5)
1993- Pierce Arrow 4-door cab 85 ft. articulating Snorkel truck with aerial platform and a pre-Piped waterway, with tandem rear axles, carrying 107 ft. of ladders $ 425,000.00
In service - 7/09/1993
ENGINE COMPANY No. 1
COMPANY ORGANIZED: July 7, 1835
1835-1853 Spring Street (southerly side), at corner of South Street.
1853-1918 557 Congress Street, near Oak Street, near Congress Square.
1918-1924 99 India Street, East End, with Ladder Co. 5
1924-1964 380 Congress Street (Central) with E-5, L-1, L-5, C-1.
1964-1976 134 Congress Street (old Munjoy Hill Station).
1976-1977 380 Congress Street (Central) with E-5, L-1, R-1.
1977- 134 Congress Street (new Munjoy Hill Station).
1835-1859 “Casco Hand Engine Co. No. 1”.
1859-1889 “Machigonne Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 1”.
1889- Engine Company No.1.
On July 7, 1835, a new engine company was organized for a new Thayer engine, purchased by the city of Portland. The engine was named, “Casco Engine Co. No.1”. A crew was formed for the engine and a hand-drawn hose carriage, carrying 250 ft. of hose. The new Company then located in a new, 2-story brick school and engine house, on the southerly side of Spring Street, at the corner of South Street, over a spring, called “Mariners Spring”. The school was on the 2nd floor and the engine room on the 1st floor.
In 1850, a local Cooper, named Leonard Crockett, built a new engine for Casco Engine Co. 1.
In 1853, Casco Engine Co. 1 was relocated to a 3-story brick building, with 1-bay door, which the City purchased, on Congress Street, near the corner of Oak Street, near Congress Square.
On October 7, 1859, “Machigonne Steam Fire Engine Co. No.1” (Portland’s first steam fire engine)
Went into service, assigned to Casco-1’s engine house on Congress Street. A new 4-wheel hose carriage carrying 1,000 ft. of hose was purchased to run with the steamer. Extensive repairs were done to the building to house Machigonne-1. Rooms on the second story were fitted up and furnished for Portland’s first Permanent Firefighter, an “Engineer” for the steam engine. A roster of 20-Call Men was formed to take charge of the new steam engine and hose carriage. A stable was erected on Oak Street for horses belonging to the Street Department, and used to haul the engine, whenever an alarm rang in, atop nearby church bells. Casco No.1 was relocated back to its former quarters, at South and Spring Streets.
On July 11, 1860, Casco-1’s hand engine was honorably discharged from service in consequence of the introduction of steam fire engines into the Department. In 1861, the hose carriage began being taken to fires by horses. In 1864, Machigonne-1’s Congress Street firehouse front wall was considered unsafe and was taken down, rebuilt, and a flat roof replaced the pitched roof. The first-story was made higher by raising the chamber floor and a cistern was built in the cellar for water, for use by the steam engine.
In 1871, a new Amoskeag steam engine was purchased for Machigonne-1, replacing the 1859 steamer.
In 1883, horses became under the care of the fire department, and a Permanent Driver was appointed for the engine, and in 1885, a Permanent Driver for the hose wagon (Engine 1 now with 3-Permanent Men).
Uniforms were then furnished for the Permanent Members to distinguish them from the Street Dept.
In 1888, a new Talbot & Moulton horse-drawn hose wagon replaced the horse-drawn hose reel carriage.
In 1908, after the City Hall fire, a new Amoskeag engine went in service and a 4th Permanent Man hired.
On October 8, 1908, Engine 1 Hoseman Charles W. Barrett, a Permanent Member, died in the line of duty, as a result of an electrocution at a still alarm at the Congress Square Hotel. In 1911, a Permanent Captain was appointed to Engine Co. 1. The company now had 7-Permanent Men and 8-Call Members.
In 1917, Engine Co. 1 was assigned Portland’s first motorized pumper, a 1,000gpm Seagrave.
In 1918, Engine 1’s Congress Street firehouse was closed and the building sold. Engine Co. 1 moved in with L-5, in the 1869-firehouse on India Street. In 1923, a Permanent Lieutenant was appointed to E-1.
On November 10, 1924, Engine Co. 1 was relocated to the new, 6-bay Central Fire Station on Congress Street with Engine 5, Ladders 1 & 5, Chemical 1, and the Headquarters of the Chief and Deputy Chief.
On May 13, 1932, Engine 1 Lieutenant Walter M. Jackson died in the line of duty, as a result of heart disease and injuries he suffered at a 2-alarm fire, Commercial and Silver Streets, on February 21, 1932.
In 1938, the last Engine 1, PFD Call Men were retired. The PFD was now all Permanent Firefighters.
In 1944, a new Seagrave 1,250gpm pumper went into service, replacing Engine 1’s old 1917 pumper.
On May 3, 1952, Engine Co. 1 Captain Frank J. Mullins died in the line of duty of a heart attack he suffered, while fighting a 1-alarm house fire on Cove Street.
On April 17, 1964, Engine Co. 1 was reassigned E-2’s 1955 American LaFrance 1,000gpm pumper, and was relocated to Engine Co. 2’s Munjoy Hill, 3-bay firehouse. (Engine Co. 2 decommissioned)
On November 18, 1970, Engine 1 Lieutenant William E. Nugent, Jr. died in the line of duty, as a result of a heart attack he suffered at a 2-alarm fire on Parris Street, on July 25, 1970. (On sick leave since fire)
On September 7, 1976, the1864-firehouse was razed, and Engine Co. 1 was relocated to Central Station until the new Munjoy Hill 3-bay Station/Community Center was built. (Same spot as the 1864 firehouse)
In 1977, Engine 1 received a new Mack 1,000gpm pumper, and moved into the new station on July 22nd.
In 1979, Engine 5 and Ladder 1 moved in with Engine 1 when Central Station closed, on February 23rd.
In 1987, Central reopened and Engine 5 moved back. Neighborhood support kept L-1 on Munjoy Hill.
On March 24, 1980, Engine 1 Firefighter Joseph C. Cavallaro died in the line of duty, as a result of injuries he suffered at a 3-alarm fire that morning at the Phoenix Nightclub on Oak Street.
In 1996, Engine 1’s Mack was taken out of service, as it was unsafe for the road, and E-1 used reserve E-2 (old E-11). City Hall approved emergency funds to purchase a new, already built 1,250gpm pumper with a 4-door cab from Emergency-One, in Florida, and the truck was commissioned on December 5th.
Work hours have reduced over the years to 42-hours per/week on 4-shifts. (E-1 staffed with 3-per/shift)
1835-1850 Thayer hand-drawn, hand pumping engine, built in Boston, MA $650 (A hand-drawn hose carriage, carrying 250 ft. of hose, assigned with the engine)
In service - 7/07/1835 (1861-hose carriage now with 1,000 ft. and hauled by horses)
Out of service 1850
1850-1859 Leonard Crockett hand-drawn, hand pumping engine, built in Portland, ME $1,100 (Still using the 1835 hose carriage, now carrying 350 ft. of hose)
In service 1850 (rebuilt in 1856)
Out of service 7/11/1860 (replaced with a steam fire engine and a 4-wheel hose carriage)
1859-1871 Amoskeag 1st-size horse-drawn steam engine, serial # 2, Manchester, NH $ 3,000 (With a new horse-drawn, 4-wheel hose carriage, carrying 1,000 ft. of hose) $325
In service - 10/7/1859 (1861-hose carriage now taken to fires by horses)
Out of service 1/12/1870 (using old 1862 E-3 steamer until arrival of new “Machigonne” 1)
1871-1908 Amoskeag 1st-size horse-drawn steam engine, serial # 370, Manchester, NH $ 4,200 (1888-new Talbot & Moulton horse-drawn hose wagon, with 1,500 ft. of hose) $ 400
In service - 6/30/1871 (June 29-arrived in the City and pump tested)
Out of service 5/14/1908 (reassigned to new steam engine company, Engine 8)
1908-1917 Amoskeag 1st-size horse-drawn steam engine, serial # 833, Manchester, NH $ 5,500
In service - 5/14/1908 (was ordered and was being built in 1907)
Out of service 8/24/1917 (Engine 1 motorized with a new Seagrave pumper)
1917-1944 Seagrave 1,000gpm double combination motor pumper, carrying 2,000 ft. of 2 ½ -inch hose And 32 ft. of ladders. $ 9,696
In service - 8/24/1917 (first motorized pumper in the PFD)
Out of service 1944 (kept as a spare pumper)
1944-1964 Seagrave 1,250gpm triple combination pumper with a 100-gallon booster tank, carrying 1,550 ft. 2 ½ -inch, 200 ft. 3-inch, 300 ft. 1 ½ -inch, 250 ft. booster hose, and 38 ft. ladders.
In service - 1944
Out of service 4/17/1964 (kept as a reserve pumper)
1964-1977 American LaFrance 1,000gpm pumper with a 150-gallon tank (old E-5 & E-2), carrying 1,550 ft. 2 ½ -inch hose, 350 ft. 1 ½ -inch hose, 200 ft. booster hose, and 38 ft. of ladders.
In service - 4/17/1964 (Engine Co. 2 decommissioned, truck reassigned to Engine Co. 1)
Out of service 3/24/1977 (kept as a reserve pumper)
1977-1996 Mack CF 1,000gpm pumper with a 500-gallon tank, carrying 1,000 ft. of 4-inch hose, 750- Ft. of 2 ½ -inch hose, 550 ft. of 1 ½ -inch hose, 200 ft. of booster hose, and 38 ft. of ladders
In service - 3/24/1977
Out of service 8/19/1996 (unsafe for the road, repaired, and sent to Cushing Island E-14)
1996- Emergency-One Cyclone 4-door cab 1,250gpm pumper with a 750-gallon tank, carrying 1,000 ft. 4-inch, 800 ft. 2½-inch, 350 ft.1¾-inch, 400 ft.1½-inch hose, and 46 ft. of ladders $190,000
In service - 12/05/1996 (8/19 to 12/5, Engine Co. 1 using reserve Engine 2, old 1979 E-11)