ATTENTION!! DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC:
The Aquatics schedule, including COVID-19 protocols are posted below but will be subject to change as needed to reflect changes in the Executive Orders issued by Governor Mills as well as changes in guidance from the Maine CDC and the Portland City Council.
- Riverton and Reiche will re-open to the public on September 7th, please see the Fall/Winter/Spring Pool Schedule
- Kiwanis Pool has closed for the season.
- Effective September 13th, please see the swim lessons schedule for the Fall, Winter and Spring 2021-2022
Please check back for updates.
Covid -19 Aquatics Information
Pool Information Fall/Winter/Spring 2021-22
Equipment: Lap swimmers, PPSC and Masters will need to bring their own kick boards, pull buoys and flippers. Instructional equipment such as pool noodles, bubble belts and aqua jogging belts will be limited and sanitized between patrons.
The morning aerobics classes will once again share the pool with adult lap swim. The evening classes will share the pool with our Masters program. Drop-ins accepted, pre-pay option available and preferred.
Adult Lap Swim
We will be returning to circle swimming with capacity up to the lifeguards discretion. To avoid having to bring cash and exact change, patrons can still pre-pay through our Community Pass registration software for adult lap swim times (ages 18 and over). To register and pay in advance for our Aquatic Drop in Programs follow this guide or watch this quick video below:
Will be set up in a private lesson format to allow for only 4 people in the pool at any one time, 4 on the deck and one lifeguard to help maintain proper physical distancing (6ft.) within the deck and pool area.
- Swim lesson descriptions.
- All lessons remain in a small group format. For both Parent & Child (parent or adult from the household in the water with the child; 25 minutes) and Level 4 and up (independent swimmers; 55 minutes) lessons will be limited to a total of 6-8 participants to allow for social distancing.
- Beginner/Intermediate Preschool Swims will be 25 minutes and have a limit of 3-4 total students. Advanced Preschool will be 45 minutes and have a limit of 3-4 students.
- Levels 1 and 2 will be 45 minutes and have a limit of 4-6 students. Level 3 will be 45 minutes and have a limit of 6 total students.
- Adult beginner lessons will be held on Tuesday nights at Riverton. They will meet for 55 minutes once a week with a total of 8 participants.
- Adult intermediate lessons will be held on Thursday nights at Riverton. They will meet for 55 minutes once a week with a total of 8 participants.
- ENTRY/EXIT: One-way entry and exit patterns will be enforced during community lessons to encourage social distancing and staggering between groups. Please follow posted signs and staff directions.
- LOCKER ROOMS & SHOWERS: Access to locker rooms will be limited to a “quick change” 10 minute limit before and after swim. Patrons are reminded to social distance and stagger themselves from others. Baskets will be available for daily use to place personal belongings on deck while using the pool. Showers are required and will be accessible for pre-swim rinse off only, no soap or shampoo allowed. Absolutely no exceptions due to sanitization requirements.
- FACE-COVERINGS: In compliance with City/State and CDC guidelines, all patrons will need to wear face coverings when not in the pool at our indoor facilities. This will help keep you and our staff safe.
- EQUIPMENT: Instructional equipment such as pool noodles, bubble belts and aqua jogging belts will be limited and sanitized between users.
- BATHING CAPS are required for all with chin length hair, regardless of age or gender. Caps will be available for sale at the pool.
- Riverton pool will be offering lessons once a week for 6-8 weeks on Tues or Thurs afternoons as well as Saturday mornings for five different sessions throughout the school year beginning the week of September 13th. Registration is available online through our Community Pass software four weeks from the start date of the session. Here’s a link to the current schedule: Fall/Winter/Spring Swim Lesson Schedule
- Due to gathering limits, our observation policy is: 1 parent only will be allowed to watch the first and last lesson of each session. Parents must remain on bleachers seated on one of the designated red "x's" while maintaining proper social distancing and wearing masks.
- We ask that if you or a family member are not feeling well that you do not attend swimming on that day. If you, a family member or caregiver test positive for Covid-19 that you follow the CDC guidelines and quarantine for 14 days and be symptom free before returning to programs.
Our lesson program continues to follow the guidelines and skill acquisition of the American Red Cross Learn- to -Swim program; however, the following factors may impact how quickly children progress through the levels.
- The need to complete skills with greater independence—adhering to social distancing guidelines put forth by the CDC children are receiving less physical support from instructors.
- Shorter session i.e., in respect to the number of weeks.
- Comfort of the swimmer to complete skills independently.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact Colleen Lepage, Aquatic Supervisor, at 874-8456, or Rose Cronin for Therapeutic Aquatic lessons at 808-5437. Thank you for your time and understanding.
Aquatic Program Information:
Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor & Jr Lifeguard Course Information
Aquatic Program Registration:
- Register ONLINE
- Register IN PERSON: complete a registration form (youth aquatic form); (adult aquatic form) include your payment, and drop into the secure lock box across from the Riverton Pool office door at 1600 Forest Ave.
- Register BY MAIL: send form and payment to:
212 Canco Road, Suite A
Portland, ME 04103
- Register BY FAX: 207-878-2731